Wednesday, July 20, 2011

A Good Read: The Productive Writer


Leave a comment, as I will be giving away a copy of this book next week!           

            Sage Cohen, author of The Productive Writer (Writer’s Digest Books), doesn’t tell you where to place the comma or what voice to use, but as her subtitle promotes: Helps you Write More, Stress Less & Create Success, I think she hits the mark.
            What I like about the book is that she helps the writer go to their strengths. We don’t all have the same temperament, so we don’t all write the same way. Cohen says: “Writers make time for writing. And everyone does it her own way. Your job is to find your way.”
             Some Chapter titles:
             Scheduling Time and Tasks
             Embracing Fear
             Writing in the Margins of a Full-Time Life
    The last chapter above about writing around your day job is very encouraging. She has you look at your job in a new way. Cohen says: “Make a list of the skills you are developing at your day job. Identify and appreciate how each one relates to and benefits your writing life. Refer to it any time you’re feeling discouraged about 'wasting time' at work."
            The book is small (about 5 x 7) and light enough (about 200 pages) to fit in most handbags or satchels. It is easy to read with many bulleted items and small charts in two-color green.  It is a practical tool you’ll love to pick up time and again, place by your computer and read when you feel bogged down.
            No book answers all your motivational questions, and I don’t agree with everything she says, but I believe reading this book is very much worth your time.

            Leave a comment and I’ll be drawing at the end of next week to give away a copy of The Productive Writer. The last day to leave a comment will be next Friday, July 29.

22 comments:

  1. It helps to have a spouse who is a couch potato and you have all the writing time in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for comment, Linda. Your name is in the hat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could definitely become more productive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment, Melissa. I'm with you on that, me too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found it to be helpful. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a wonderful little book. I've just been thinking I need to get smarter about my writing time. I'm not working 'efficiently' these days :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds great. Who couldn't use a book to help be more productive with less stress? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks intriguing. Please enter me in the contest.

    Blessings,
    Jodie Wolfe
    digging4pearls(at)comcast(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  9. The chapter "Writing in the Margins of a Full-Time Life" sounds like something I could learn from. I tell people, "Don't ever retire; you'll be twice as busy but you won't get paid for it." As a result of a burgeoning of interests since retirement, I find I have more than a "full-time life" and, as a result, most of my writing has been "on hold" of late. As for stress -- we won't even go there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great book. Please enter me :)

    joanne(at)joannesher(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sherri, Salena, Jodie, Richard and Joanne,
    Thanks for stopping by. The hat is getting bigger!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good things to think about for sure. Please enter me: pat [dot] grau at gmail [dot] com.

    Also wanted to say I really appreciated your tip on google alerts. It takes so little effort to keep those investigations going!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for stopping by, Pat. I find such interesting info when I get my Alerts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This book sounds great. I'd love to read it. Thanks for the contest.

    Ann_Lee_Miller[at]msn[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, Ann, thanks for coming by and you're in the running.

    ReplyDelete
  16. "Embracing Fear" sounds like a chapter I need to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Me too, Debby. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the inspiring post, Ms. Shaw! I think of writing as a kind of job: it's something I have to do everyday, no exceptions. There are good days and bad days, but in the end, even a bad day is better than a blank day. And that's what keeps me going.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good attitude, Tracie. Thanks for joining the conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for spreading the word about The Productive Writer, Tammie! I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are very welcome. Thanks for the comment, Sage. One of these lucky people will receive a copy of your book!

    ReplyDelete

Due to spam, I have gone to moderated comments. Your comment will be read as soon as possible. Thank you for commenting.