Friday, March 16, 2012

Rod Blagojevich and Freedom



            Yesterday, our former governor, Rod Blagojevich, began serving a fourteen-year prison sentence for corruption. I’m not here to talk about his innocence or guilt nor if he should be going to prison or for how long. But, he has been on my mind, this week, his last week of freedom. 
Peter Gustafson/Dreamstime.com

I have imagined what it would be like to be told what time to get up, when to eat, when to work and when to go to bed. Also, to live in cramped quarters with someone you do not know, and only see your family on a limited basis, and when you do see them, it is in a room surrounded by strangers. I have imagined being in a cell at night with the lights off, feeling so afraid and lonely, and then you might hear someone crying in the distant darkness for their family.
After I have visualized that scene for a while, I shake myself, look around and realize I am home, so humble as it may be, I am home. I still have my dreams to write and live my life as I best see fit. I think about the cell and feel a little more thankful, that God kept me from being in the wrong situation, making poor choices or growing up in a neighborhood where my life may have turned out differently.
            Maybe I think about this because I have met a few former inmates, as my Grandfather served as a volunteer chaplain at a federal penitentiary for over thirty-five years. He visited prisoners every week and shared the Gospel and prayed with them. Many of those became Christians and lived a better life after leaving prison. The ones I met seemed like regular folks, who had made wrong choices, got with the wrong crowd, etc. But, they never forgot those days of incarceration. Blagojevich has an inmate number, and those former convicts I know, say you never forget that number.
            Maybe because of the former prisoners I have met and my Grandfather’s ministry, I do find myself praying for those who are incarcerated. Yes, they broke the law, and they do need to face the consequences, but they also deserve compassion.
                       


             

3 comments:

  1. What a great post. Thanks for sharing. Being involved in the prison ministry since 2004, I feel much the same as you. I always cringe when I hear of others cheering when someone becomes incarcerated. No matter what, they most likely have a parent or loved one that is morning their “loss”. Bless you for your compassion and seeing past the crime of those that sinned…as well as your grandfather. I wish I could have met the man and thanked him myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very thought provoking post. thank you. Compassion is lacking in our societies these days.

    As someone interested in words, I thought you might like to look into the word play in cryptic crosswords (if you aren't already into them). I have been doing a series of posts about cryptic clues and how to solve them. This is the first one in the series:
    http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2012/01/cryptic-crosswords-solving-hints-1.html
    Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carole, Thanks for reading and commenting. I'm going to take a look at your blog.

      Delete

Due to spam, I have gone to moderated comments. Your comment will be read as soon as possible. Thank you for commenting.