Sunday, May 6, 2012

Power of Words



     I was reminded today of the power of words. Words are the tools we use as writers to convey our message. We can use those tools to help or to harm.

     I heard journalist Nicholas Kristof speak (Half the Sky, Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide). He has reported on atrocities such as the abuse of women and young girls through sex trafficking and the genocide in Darfur. Having served as bureau chief for The New York Times in Hong Kong, Beijing, and Tokyo, he has earned two Pulitzer Prizes.

     Although the Pulitzers are great honors, his stories have made people aware of injustices around the world, and to inspire others to action.

     I thought about myself as a writer. I don’t travel around the world, or at least I haven’t had the opportunity yet, but I do try to use my words to make a positive impact. And, through social media, we never know when our message may be sent around the world.

     So, we need to be ready with our tools sharpened and ready to go.

  
How about you? Have you had opportunity to write something that had a positive impact?

2 comments:

  1. I wrote an article about the worldwide persecution of Christians. It's been reprinted several times. Once, it appeared in a high school Sunday School take-home paper. One high school girl wrote the publisher saying that this article really opened her eyes to the problem. It was awesome to be used by God that way.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie, Isn't cool how our words can touch others we don't know and probably will never meet. Thanks for commenting, friend.

    ReplyDelete

Due to spam, I have gone to moderated comments. Your comment will be read as soon as possible. Thank you for commenting.