Friday, June 15, 2012


PLATFORM

Scary & Overwhelming 

          I welcome all new subscribers who signed up at the Write-to-PublishConference. A word we heard many times at the conference was platform, which is the topic of our discussion today.
          If I were to define platform for a writer, I would say it is your experience or education that gives you credibility and how you reach or connect with your readers.
          Michael Hyatt, in his book, Platform, Get Noticed in a Noisy World, he defines platform as the thing you stand on to get heard. He says today’s platform is built of people, contacts, connections and followers.
          When I think about platform, I know it is necessary, but two things come to mind for me. It is scary and I can feel overwhelmed.

SCARY
          Yes, it is scary. I think it is scary for many writers and I think one of the reasons is that most writers are introverts. I know I am. I get energized when I spend time alone and being with people fatigues me. To approach people and develop relationships, in person or online, I get an initial hesitant feeling.
But, I have tried to do other jobs and I always come back to being a writer. That is when I have to realize that there are things about our first loved profession that may be difficult, but that is when we grow as a person and a writer.

OVERWHELMING
          I don’t consider myself a technical person, so whenever I explore a new area of social media, I feel there are so many things to learn. Many of us try to do too much at one time. We look at our colleagues and feel if they are a part of something, we need to be, also. And, maybe we do, but maybe not now. We can only learn one thing well, when we slow down and try to understand it. The time will come for the next thing and then the next.

How about you? Do you find building a platform at times scary or overwhelming?

  

           


















4 comments:

  1. Tammie,
    I get the scary, overwhelmed part. As a writer who is an extrovert I experience the same feelings. I spent months this year curled up in the fetal position (in my mind) out of fear. The WTP conference gave me the kick start I needed. My writing is back on track. I still struggle with platform. My nephew is going to help me revamp my blog site after I nail down what I want.
    I feel God telling me do what I do best--encourage. Encourage new writes, wanna-be writers and help others in the profession of writing anyway God leads me.
    As long as I keep Him foremost in my mind and heart I feel my platform will grow.
    thanks for sharing what every write struggles with daily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cindy, Thanks for taking time to comment. I'm so glad WTP played a part in getting your writing going again. I feel encouraging is part of what I do best, too. You encouraged me with your comment and reminded us where to keep our eyes fixed.

      Delete
  2. In my former job working for a nonprofit, I had to network, which was very scary at first. The more I did it, the easier it became, and I realized that networking is nothing more than meeting nice people. To an extent, that's what a platform is, too. I use Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter. My platform is currently very small and I only have people I know as LinkedIn and Facebook followers. Starting with Twitter, I am opening up to people I don't know, which is scary. And it is REALLY scary that it seems one has to have a HUGE platform nowadays, especially if working with nonfiction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, Thanks for sharing. That's a good way to think about it, meeting nice people. One step, one follower, one day at a time gets us closer to a larger platform. But, it's nice to know God is in the mix and for us.

    ReplyDelete

Due to spam, I have gone to moderated comments. Your comment will be read as soon as possible. Thank you for commenting.