Friday, July 27, 2012

Do You Set Goals?




Original watercolor by my 7-year-old niece, Oliva.



A couple of weeks ago I talked about a book I had found as I cleaned house. It was the Bible study, Write His Answer by Marlene Bagnull.
As I am looking through this book, it is so heavily highlighted in pink, I have to laugh. I was so excited about what I read years ago that I seemed to highlight every word and now that I reread them, I know why I couldn’t put my pen down.
Listen to this:  “. . . we need to envision the writer we hope to become and the work we hope to produce for the Lord’s glory.” And, “When my mind is centered on Christ and I choose to rely on ‘his mighty power,’ I discover he is able to do far more’ than my ‘highest prayers, desires, thoughts, or hopes’ “ (Eph. 3:20) This is found in the chapter, Making It Happen.
Marlene also talks about setting goals. We can set long-range goals and then break that down into more specific short-term goals. I can’t tell you how many times I have written down goals and have accomplished some, but not all and have become discouraged. But, then I come back again, a few months down the road and start again and try to set new goals. I have since tried to not set as many goals and work though them, and it gives me more confidence to move on.
This summer has been an exhausting summer for me physically and mentally. I am so glad I came across this book so I can be encouraged and remember how excited I was when I read the book for the first time. I feel the excitement building a little again.

 
Question: Does setting goals help you accomplish more things?






1 comment:

  1. Thanks to you, dear friend Tammie, I just ordered this book by Marlene. I've been meaning to get it for years -- thanks for the reminder. It sounds like a great one for me as I resume my "author life" this fall after months off for moving and travel. And I'm starting to think about attending the Nov writers conf in Indy this year for more inspiration -- are you too, by chance?? :-)

    ReplyDelete

Due to spam, I have gone to moderated comments. Your comment will be read as soon as possible. Thank you for commenting.