Friday, July 13, 2012

Write His Answer




Interesting things happen when I know I am going to have company. One thing I do is clean the house and “unearth” items, like books, that I forget I have. A book I came across this week is, Write His Answer, a Bible Study for Christian Writers by MarleneBagnull. The book is highlighted and underlined with pen and notes written in the margins. As I reread it I remembered why it meant so much to me.

In the foreword, by veteran author Lee Roddy, I highlighted the line “ . . . an unfinished manuscript cannot change lives.” Wow, I remember first reading that line and how I need to remind myself of that today.

The book is divided into 33 chapters of three to four pages and at the end of each chapter is a short series of questions, titled, “Responding to God’s Call,” with space to comment. I had filled out many of the questions almost fifteen years ago and it was interesting reading my responses from so long ago.

The chapters have titles such as Called to Write, Keeping in Balance, By My Spirit, Disappointed by Not Discouraged, In Dry Times, Finding Our Place. I forgot what a treasure this book was to me.

In the next month or so I plan to share some encouragement for writers from the book. Marlene Bagnull, who is also the director of two Christian writers conferences, Greater Philadelphia and Colorado Christian, uses scripture throughout the book to inspire writers.


In the chapter, Called to Write, she referes to Matthew 10:32-33 where Jesus speaks about if we publicly acknowledge him, he would do the same before His father. Marlene then asks the question, “Certainly my refusal to write was not a denial of him or was it?”

Also, a phrase I had highlighted was about vulnerability: “I sensed the most difficult things for me to share could be the very words someone else needed to read.”

This is a just a few of the gems I will share during the Summer from a book written over twenty years ago, that still touches lives.

Have you read this book? What did it mean to you? 

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read this book but it sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing some of its gems.

    ReplyDelete

Due to spam, I have gone to moderated comments. Your comment will be read as soon as possible. Thank you for commenting.