Monday, October 8, 2012

Thoughts on Legacy


My father-in-law passed away last week. He lived a long, full life, and had been struggling with health issues, but still no one wants to die, nor see a family member pass away. Family gathered and I saw that life ends, but life also begins and continues. At one of the family dinners, we celebrated a four-year-old birthday of one of the children.

While at the cemetery where we had the graveside service, I talked at length with my husband’s cousin, who had lived long enough to know much about the family. He showed me family tombstones and described who they were and his memory of them and how they died. I then fast forwarded many years into the future and wondered if my husband and I were buried in that cemetery, the four-year-old may be walking among the tombstones someday, telling the story of our lives.

And then I thought about what would that story be? Those thoughts should give us the inspiration to live a life worth living, serving and loving others and our God.
 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry for your loss. I'm now wondering some of the same things you shared. I love cemeteries, and I just realized it has little to do with the deaths that create them, but with the lives...

    ReplyDelete

Due to spam, I have gone to moderated comments. Your comment will be read as soon as possible. Thank you for commenting.