Saturday, October 20, 2012

Unexpectedly Inspired



I had an appointment this week with a physician considered one of the top orthopedics in the nation. (This was to deal with an ongoing leg issue; prayers appreciated). I felt honored to be able to meet with someone of his caliber.

I had to wait three months after I made the appointment, but when I met with him he gave me two hours of his time. It has been a long time since a doctor spent that much time with me. Now, yes, I will pay for it, but someone with that knowledge and expertise, I believe is worth it. He was so personable I had to remind myself he was the doctor I read about with all the experience and honors, because most of the time, I felt like I was chatting with him over lunch.

But, then I thought about how he got to this point in his life. I’m sure he has studied way beyond medical school and attended seminar upon seminar. It didn’t happen in a day.

Then I thought about me as a writer. How can I become better in my field? How can I become a writer known for a skill others seek out?

I left his office with some answers, albeit more tests required, but I also left with the desire to study and be more knowledgeable in my field.

Thanks, Dr. D.

 

How about you? Has anyone in another field inspired you to excel in your own?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I have gone to moderated comments. Your comment will be read as soon as possible. Thank you for commenting.