Friday, June 28, 2013

Sit Down and Write


The winner of the drawing for the book, Platform, by Michael Hyatt, is Missy Tippens. Congrats! 





I seldom talk about being a writer when I am at my part-time job, although many know that I do write. This week a woman, whom I rarely talk to about my writing, approached me and asked how she could encourage her son, who was writing a novel, but seemed to be stalled.

I didn’t know that her son was a writer and I was flattered someone asked me. I told her there was really no secret to writing a novel. There is, of course, better ways to create your characters, do POV and setting, etc., but it is really about sitting down and doing the work.

This conversation made me think about the many opportunities I have missed to stop and simply, sit down and do the work. If I had done that on a regular basis and passed up other opportunities such as to watch a television show, etc. would I have a novel published today? Maybe, who knows? I consider myself a fairly skilled writer, although I have a lot to learn about fiction. I do understand how to get published as I have attended many conferences. Even if I had written a novel, and tried, but failed, to get my book published, I would have learned a great deal.

I plan to sit down and write, more often. I think about how much farther along I will be this time next year.

How about you? Do you need to be more consistent? 

7 comments:

  1. This is such an encouragement. Too often, I'm so focused on what I have to write (for work or for clients), or I get so busy with other things, that I don't write the stories that are inside of me.

    Thanks, Tammie.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, and have read something like it before. When a writer says, "I don't have time," well, she probably has 10 minutes here...and there...and before you know it, she could have written for a good, productive, and fun hour. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, Liz, we usually can find those few minutes that propel us on. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Yes, I too have a lot of difficulty writing on a consistent basis. It seems I can never get into a routine because every week something new comes up that interferes with my regular schedule; and once I am off schedule, it takes weeks to get back into a routine. I have abandoned the belief that I will ever have a three-hour stretch of time to write. Fifteen minutes is all I can hope for. So I have tried to build 15 minutes of writing time into my worship/devotional time first thing in the morning and last thing at night, and I try to steal an additional 15 minutes some time throughout the day. The morning is working well so far, but I am still trying to get consistent with the other two. I carry a notebook around with me too, and I take notes on my iphone when I have the chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those small minutes can add up, day after day. I recently put Evernote on my phone and can add ideas, etc. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad to win the drawing! Thank you!

    I've had to train myself to write in smaller bits of time. My ideal would be a week long getaway at the beach to write. :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to spam, I have gone to moderated comments. Your comment will be read as soon as possible. Thank you for commenting.