Friday, July 19, 2013

How Writers Work: Edie Melson

The second interview in the series, How Writers Work, is with Edie Melson. Edie is a full-time writer and she gives us some great insight into her working life.


Edie Melson is the author of four books, as well as a freelance writer and editor with years of experience in the publishing industry. She’s a prolific writer, and has a popular writing blog, TheWrite Conversation. She’s the co-director of the Blue RidgeMountains Christian Writers Conference, as well as a popular faculty member at numerous others. She’s also the social media columnist for SouthernWriters Magazine and social media coach for My Book Therapy. Connect with her through Twitter and Facebook.


Please, give us a brief description of your current life situation.

 My husband and I both work at home—we’ve shared an office for the past 15 years. Our three sons are grown and I’m experiencing a lot of freedom to schedule my time.

As a full-time writer, how do you divide your day (writing, editing, marketing, etc.)?

Outside of writing deadlines—when all schedules get thrown out—I’m very strict about scheduling my day. Here’s my schedule:


My Daily Schedule 

·      8 – 9: I answer email (I have two accounts), and I use Hootsuite to schedule my main social media for the entire day. I use this hour to get connected.

·      9 – 11:30: I use this time as my creative writing time, because it’s the time when I’m most creative.

·      11:30 – 12: I answer emails and phone calls that have come in and check FB, Twitter and my blog.

·      12-1: lunch.

·      1-3 I: work on things that have a deadline and once a week write all my blog posts during this time.

·      3:30 – 4: I again check email, phone messages, FB, Twitter and my blog. Then, before I go to bed again check email, FB, Twitter and my blog.

·      Also, about once an hour I get up and walk around to relieve my back and when I sit back down, I check Hootsuite. That way, if anyone has mentioned me or retweeted something I can reply. It’s important to keep the conversation going throughout the day and this is how I do it. BUT, I only allow myself 5-10 minutes each hour or two.


How did you develop the discipline to become a full-time writer?

By accepting assignments and turning things in on time. Blogging on a schedule has also helped as well. But the best way to develop discipline is practice.


What would you advise to those who want to go full-time? What should be in place before someone takes this leap?

I think you need to prove to yourself you’ll spend the time you need marketing. So many people I talk to want to write full-time, but they’re not willing to send out queries to get the work. They want someone to drop it from the sky. Full-time anything is hard work and takes dedication.


If you’re not already sending out queries and writing regularly, get started. As a full-time writer, you’ll need to spend about 50% of your time marketing. That’s true whether you write books or are a full-time freelancer.


How important is social media in the life a writer? How much time should a writer spend on social media?

I built my career on social media—and I’m not talking about becoming a social media expert. I built my platform using my blog, Twitter and Facebook. When I was freelancing full-time (I now write books full-time) I got at least 60% of my clients from people who visited my blog. Then, when I switched to writing books, the fact that I had a solid, viable platform made me attractive to potential publishers.


I don’t, however, recommend writers spend the majority of their time building social media. Do it CONSISTENTLY for about 30 minutes a day and within a year you’ll also have a solid platform.


Thanks, Edie. That was great info. Edie has also written a book about social media, especially for writers: Connections: Social Media and Networking Techniques for Writers. I reviewed it on this blog, check it out. 


How about you? What is or would be your greatest challenge as a full-time writer?  







6 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting an interview with Edie. I love her blog.

    I work full time for a company as a writer. I've freelanced since 1989 but I'm trying to be more intentional about it. My struggle is overcoming my exhaustion at the end of the workday to give quality time to freelancing.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Debbie. Thanks for stopping by and letting us know about you as a freelancer.

      Delete
  2. A very good interview with Edie. I've been writng short-stories for a number of years, and my second book of woman's fiction is due to be released in October. I know with young children it can be a difficult time to try to work those hours, even minutes in for our craft. Mine are all grown and sadly two are overseas, so we really are 'empty nesters'....but it gives me the free time I so enjoy for my writing. I find getting up early and staying with it for several hours....proofing evenings is the best way to attack on my WIP. Thanks for sharing, Edie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Diane and sharing some of your experience. Glad you enjoyed Edie's comments.

      Delete
  3. I'm a regular visitor at Edie's blog and enjoyed learning more about her.

    At this point in my life, I'm a part-time writer. It's a challenge to write books/market when holding down a full-time position, but it's possible with discipline.

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, Thanks for commenting. It is always interesting to learn a little more about those we follow and learn from online.

    ReplyDelete

Due to spam, I have gone to moderated comments. Your comment will be read as soon as possible. Thank you for commenting.