Friday, August 30, 2013

How Do You React When You Don't Meet a Goal?


Earlier this month I blogged about a colleague, Reba J. Hoffman, who was on a cross country biking trip to make others aware of PTSD (read her story) and give women the courage to defeat their fears. She had been on the road for almost two months and had made it from South Carolina to the Kentucky Indiana border. Unfortunately, she has suffered an injury to her shoulder and knee and will have to abandon the trip (read the update).
I was sorry to hear this about my friend, but she is upbeat and she is still an inspiration. I started thinking about how easily I become discouraged, when I don't accomplish what I set out to do. This led me to consider what are some healthy ways to react when we realize a dream or goal is not going to happen.
Here are 4 ways I came up with:
 

1.  Grieve and Do Something. It is okay to be sad and feel a little discouraged; just don’t let it last forever. After you grieve, DO SOMETHING to help you forget about your discouragement. Take a walk or talk to a good friend and tell them your story. Even though you don’t feel like it, get up and DO SOMETHING.

 

 
2.  Write. Put it on paper. Record the things you learned from the experience, your current situation and five things for which you are thankful.



 
3.  Pray and think. Go over your next possible moves and ask God for guidance.

  

4. Go. Take that next step, but just a small one. Even though you may be hesitant and fearful that this new thing might not work, you won’t go forward unless you take a step.

 

How about you? How do you bounce back when you experience a setback?

Join the conversation.

 
 
 
 

 

 

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Something God has been teaching my over the past year is that my value lies in him alone. Not in my accomplishments. Not in whether I have something published or rejected. Not in whether I win or fall short. So when I find myself with a rejection or "failure" of some sort, though I am disappointed, it is always comforting to remind myself that my value is not in what I accomplish but who I am in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, thank you for those words that we can all take to heart. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

Due to spam, I have gone to moderated comments. Your comment will be read as soon as possible. Thank you for commenting.