Friday, August 9, 2013

Technology: "I Won't Give Up"



 

Bear with me, as this post is a little long, and as I cry over some technology woes.

 
I learned two things this week.
 
Number One: We are, where we are, when it comes to technology. 
 
Number Two: Never give up, and sometimes the best remedy is to turn the computer off and back on.
 
This week I had to deal with “too much new technology,” that I didn’t understand, but I have to admit, I learned a few things.
 
My challenge involved my laptop, my Kindle Fire, and my cell phone.  
 
Situation One: I wanted to download a free app to my phone for the conference I am attending at our church (Global Leadership Summit). The app was available on iTunes. I knew what iTunes was, but I haven’t used it, as I don’t download music.
 
First, I had difficulty opening an account because the form wouldn’t allow me to enter my data. So after contacting customer service, I was able to establish an account, only after waiting overnight (turn computer off and back on). I then downloaded the app to my laptop. 

My next problem was I didn’t know how to get the app from my laptop to my phone. After Googling (not sure if this a word), I downloaded two, no three more apps to get my laptop and phone to sync or transfer files. This involved three apps, because I inadvertently downloaded an inexpensive updated version of the first free syncing app and then had to uninstall the free version (I need to read more closely). But, I still couldn’t download the sought after “free app”, until the next morning. Go figure. Turn computer off and back on.

I later realized that I could gone directly to my Android phone and used the Google Play Store. Ugh. But, I wouldn't have learned as much or that is what I tell myself.
 
Situation Two: My Kindle Fire. I use my Kindle Fire to look at my personal emails, on my breaks, while at my day job. I couldn’t get the emails to show up. So, I Googled and went to YouTube, something else I don’t explore much. There I found a tutorial (lots of them) for the Kindle Fire and was able to figure out how to get the emails to display!
 
So, I have touched more technology this week, than I usually do in months, but I have learned some things. I was frustrated, but I’m not giving up. I will continue to ask questions and someday I will laugh at this blog post.

Thanks for the indulgence.
 
How about you? What frustrates you about technology?
 

 

7 comments:

  1. Oh, you gave me a much-needed laugh this morning. I know exactly what you're going through. My problem is that they always change things when they update them. Then, I have to learn it all over again. :-)

    Hang in there, Tammie. And, have a great day.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I made your morning! Thanks for stopping.

      Delete
  2. I feel your pain, Tammie. :-) My husband is a computer science professor, and his first remedy is to turn the computer off and back on. You're spot on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will always do that first now. Thanks for commenting, Meghan.

      Delete
  3. Tammie, I can so relate. My password for one of my email accounts is dumb dumb. I find it so frustrating to use. I had to set it up for my first android phone and to access groups.I don't use that email for anything else. The pw defines what I think of the whole process.
    Even my husband who is tech savvy gets frustrated with all the extra steps for downloading some stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Cindy; always good to hear from you.

      Delete
  4. I used to be overwhelmed by programming a VCR, now that sounds simple compared to all the techno toys available! I'm still working on Linked In, maybe Pinterest some day but I am good at Facebook :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to spam, I have gone to moderated comments. Your comment will be read as soon as possible. Thank you for commenting.