Friday, October 11, 2013

Do You Wrimo?


What you say? Yes, Wrimo or NaNoWriMo (stands for National Novel Writing Month). This is where people attempt to write a 50,000 word novel in thirty days, during the month of November. NaNoWriMo started in 1999, and is expected this year to have about half a million participants. According to the NaNo website, there were 341,375 sign-ups last year. You can register on their website and record and share your progress with others around the country. There are over 250 NaNoWriMo novels which have been traditionally published, including Sara Gruen’s Water for Elephants.

I’m debating whether to do this. In the past, when I began my novel on November 1, I shortly became discouraged when I missed a daily goal. I knew that I would be playing catch-up all month. Usually, I quit before I reached my goal.

But, this year, if I participate, I am thinking of setting a lower goal than 50,000, as I try to finish a resurrected novel that I began a few years ago. Also, I don't want to get discouraged.

 

How about you? Have you tried this? Has it worked for you? If so, how has it helped you? If not, why not?

Let’s help each other decide.

 

 

 

 

3 comments:

  1. I had tried it before becoming a Christian and usually did not get to far but sometimes had fun trying. Writing was always something that was on my heart. After starting to read the bible I wasn't even sure it was okay to write. And was/am grateful for the things I never managed to get written, lol. I have been thinking of doing NaNoWriMo this year. I have a lot of responsibilities and may not get very far. I was struck by the title of your book and hope to be useful to the Lord in my life. I don't know that novels will be a part of that usefulness. How did you find assurance about what you are to be doing with what He has given you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria, thanks so much for coming to my blog and commenting. The book, Writing So Heaven Will be Different, is a compilation of conferees true stories of their writing success through the Write-to-Publish Conference. You also ask a very good question, about finding assurance about what God wants us to do. I think that we can find that assurance by growing close to Him and trying to hear His voice speak to our heart. I think that what we do for Him can change throughout our lives, depending on our situations and seasons. Thanks so much for coming by.

    ReplyDelete

Due to spam, I have gone to moderated comments. Your comment will be read as soon as possible. Thank you for commenting.