Thursday, November 7, 2013

Is Disorganization Killing Your Writing?



I spent three days this week trying to organize my office (or what used to be our dining room), which hadn't been seriously tackled for a few years. I COURAGEOUSLY took the above picture. I went through boxes and files, moved piles of books, magazines, etc. trying to make my space work for me.

I am not an organized person; I really have to work at it. I ached and was exhausted by bedtime, which came quite late.

I have learned a few things that are holding me back from an ORGANIZED state and may be helpful to you:




CHOOSE AREAS OF WORK. What are the three main areas of work for you? For me it was writing nonfiction, fiction and historical research.
LOOK AT SPACE. Determine what amount of space you have available.
PUT LIKES TOGETHER AND PURGE. Place similar things in piles and see what you have. Put books, notebooks and files in separate stacks. Then purge.
 
 
 
LET GO. You have to say, “let go” at some point. I found magazines and papers I have had for over 25 years. I found a typed outline of notes from a 1996 conference I attended. Many of them have no lasting value and they are taking up space. But, I am a keeper and found it difficult to throw one out even when I had two copies!
TRY SOMETHING. Don’t think that once you put something somewhere it has to stay there. You can remove it and put it somewhere else, if it doesn’t work.

 
 

How about you? Do you have one tip of organization that you could share?
 

 











 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

8 comments:

  1. Where's the after photo?? :-) All my life, I've moved every few years or a bit more (8 years is the max I've lived in one home, not necessarily town or country). And for sure, moving is a GREAT de-clutterer and organizer. . . excellent suggestions, BTW. . . :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment and stopping by Millie.

      Delete
  2. Great prompting Millie...the progress...as a professional in the organizational field, I will share one idea...start with three boxes..the throw away...the keep...the donate..... now as a friend....great start Tammy, these items are a part of you and it's difficult to let go..think of it as stale energy...when you open your space up..you will be encouraging new , fresh ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the observations and stopping by.

      Delete
  3. I have a great office with bookcases and lots of storage. Unfortunately, as fast as I get rid of stuff, I fill these items again. Maybe I should get rid of some of these clutter containers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Susan. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Hi Tammy. A very brave photo - can't wait to see/hear how it goes. Organization? Hmmm, I'm working on bulletin boards and piles now that I'm an empty nester. I'm told I should move my files to a digital format, thus creating more actual space - which I'm considering. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moving to a digital format is a good idea. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

Due to spam, I have gone to moderated comments. Your comment will be read as soon as possible. Thank you for commenting.