Friday, November 1, 2013

NaNoWriMo: Yes and No



 
A few weeks ago on this blog, I asked how many were going to participate in National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). Today is the first day of that monthlong event.

I asked if anyone had participated before and were they going to this year, so that others could benefit from their experience and decide whether to join in.

Since that post, I have decided to not participate to complete a 50,000 word novel, even though I am trying to finish a novel-in-progress. I sat down last week and decided on a deadline of January 31 to complete my rough draft. I felt that if I tried to complete it in November, I would fall behind and then become discouraged and quit, something I have done more than once. I hope to participate in the future.

But, I have come up with some alternative writing exercises that I am going to try. So, if you aren't ready to attempt a novel, maybe try this: 

 

Write Daily Devotionals. Since I also write daily devotionals, and have an assignment coming to me December 1, I have decided to write some.

 

Personal Experience Stories. I have a notebook full of ideas and thought maybe I could finally put these ideas on paper.

 

Write Character or Setting Descriptions. If you have ideas for future stories or novels write about the people or places you would like to bring to life.





 
What about you? Are you participating in NaNoWriMo?
 
 

 

 




     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I have gone to moderated comments. Your comment will be read as soon as possible. Thank you for commenting.