Friday, January 24, 2014

Small Changes; Big Results





The title of this blog is my hope. As I have mentioned, one of my goals this year is to be more organized, as I adjust to working at home with a full-day of availability, rather than a half-day. While this may sound enviable to some, and I would not give it up for anything, it has its’ challenges. Here are a few things I have done to organize my work and time. 




WORK IN PRIME TIME

Since mornings are when I am most alert or creative, I chose to keep the same hours at which I worked at my part-time job. So, from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. I write, read things for an assignment, etc., in other words, things where I need an alert mind.

In the afternoons, after lunch, I feel sleepy, so, I do things like email, clean out files, etc. Now, if I am on deadline, I have had to continue working through the afternoon, just with more breaks.

HELPFUL TOOLS

I have instituted some things to keep me on track. These include: a calendar, a diary (which I posted about earlier), and a small journal for a to-do list. I have had to train myself to look at these daily, because I can be distracted easily and be pulled into something not on my agenda.

Calender. I list any deadlines (from an outside source or self-imposed), appointments, scheduled webinars, emailing, calling etc. on my calendar.

Work Diary. I call this a work diary, because I also keep a personal one. At the end of my day, or throughout, I record all projects I worked on, pertinent emails I sent or received, etc.

To-Do Journal. Also, I use a smaller separate journal for my to-do list. I used to list it on my calendar, but there wasn't enough room on the day slots. Now, I have also started a smaller journal to list “to-dos in the near future” or those things that are not as urgent.

TAKE IT ALONG
            
I sometimes find myself wanting to change locations, whether it be to my living room or to a local coffee shop. I use a small vinyl carryall to take my calendar, diary, etc. to the place I choose to plan or schedule. It seemed when I went to another location, I invariably would leave an item I needed, behind.

It may all might sound elementary, but I find, every little bit helps.


And don't forget the coffee!


How about you? Any little things that have made 
a big difference?











4 comments:

  1. My problem is maintaining the changes I implement. I have a small planner I keep in my purse, but often forget to look at it.

    The three-ring binder I have on my desk seems to work better for me. My to-do list is in there and any notes I need to jot down. It works much better than small pieces of paper that I have a tendency to lose.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Susan thanks for stopping by and commenting. Maintaining seems to be something we all deal with and glad the binder works for you. You have a great weekend, also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Susan thanks for stopping by and commenting. Maintaining seems to be something we all deal with and glad the binder works for you. You have a great weekend, also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish I could be this organized@ congrats!

    ReplyDelete

Due to spam, I have gone to moderated comments. Your comment will be read as soon as possible. Thank you for commenting.