Friday, March 21, 2014

I Fell in Love


I arrived at the hotel conference room scared to death. I was attending my first writers conference, a one-day event in another city. I asked myself: “Who will I talk to?” and “Where will I eat lunch?” I probably shouldn't have come; I could never be a writer.

That day, over thirty years ago, I fell in love – with writers conferences. I will never forget the woman who sat by me on that first day. When we broke for lunch, she asked me if I wanted to go to the restaurant downstairs and eat with her. I did and we talked and talked about writing. I hope she has published many things and touched lives. She made difference for me on that day. 

Since then, I have attended over thirty conferences. As writers it is really a must to attend one every year. There are all types of gatherings from one to five-day to virtual conferences dealing with craft, marketing and technology.

One of the most important things at a conference is the people you meet. Other writers and editors and agents come together to learn, meet prospective authors and support each other.

Two writers buds, Cleo & Millie


As a staff member of the Write-to-Publish Conference, I am busy doing my part to get ready as we convene June 4 -7. If you are in the Midwest and haven’t decided on a conference, you might consider this one. March 31 is the early bird deadline to save a little money on tuition.

If you live in another part of the country, attend a conference near you. But, if you are a writer, make it a “don’t-miss” thing this year. Remember, almost every conference offers scholarships, if financial considerations are holding you back.



How about you? Do you have a conference you will attend this year?

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What a surprise to read this blog and find a photo of Cleo and me. . . thanks for making me (and Cleo too, I'm sure) feel special! Heaps of authoring blessings, dear "writer bud". . . :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, Tammie. I LOVE conferences, and I so much enjoyed getting to know you better at ACFW! I received the flyer at Write to Publish and would love to go, but I'm not sure it's going to work out. I'm definitely at ACFW again in September!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the picture, Tammie. Millie is so beautiful. I love the conferences and am amazed at how many talented people God has called to write His word. There are so many wonderful messages of God's healing and blessing that have come from these conferences. Write to Publish is a must for any writer.

    ReplyDelete

Due to spam, I have gone to moderated comments. Your comment will be read as soon as possible. Thank you for commenting.