Saturday, April 5, 2014

Hospitality Along the Trail

       
For those of you who don’t follow me on FaceBook (my page), last Friday I completed my first draft of a novel. I have started more than one novel, but I had never finished one.  Now, I have a rough draft and the rewriting begins.
Huddleston Farmhouse Today

My novel takes place at a stagecoach inn along the National Road in Indiana during the 1830s. Part of my rewriting will also involve filling some holes in my research. Today and in the future I would like to share some of the unique things I have found through my research. The Huddleston Farmhouse is one example of a type of stopping place for stagecoaches along the route.

The National Road was the first major improved highway in the United States built by the federal government. It was to be a road that would help open up more Western expansion. This road began in Cumberland, Maryland and stretched to Vandalia, Illinois.

Along the road various taverns and inns sprang up to accommodate travelers and provide a place for the horses to rest or be replaced. There were also families along the road who opened their homes to the travelers. The Huddleston family had a farmhouse in Cambridge City, Indiana, near the Ohio border. The Huddleston's had eleven children, but still opened their home to weary travelers. 
       

I would love to visit this farmhouse in the near future.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I have gone to moderated comments. Your comment will be read as soon as possible. Thank you for commenting.