Monday, May 5, 2014

Write-to-Publish Faculty Interview: Ben Wolf of Splickety Magazine


Briefly describe your publication.


Splickety Magazine is your source for high-quality flash fiction in a variety of genres. If you like to read but don't have time, try Splickety. You can enjoy our stories, always 1,000 words or less, and get your flash fic fix without the time commitment of a novel. And if you do have time to read, you'll be impressed with the quality of the stories contained within. 


What type of a writer are you hoping to meet with at the conference?

I'm hoping to meet writers who are experts in their genre or genres of choice who are either looking to write me some great flash fiction stories for our magazines or are looking to improve their craft by working one-on-one with a professional freelance editor. I love writers who take chances with their work, as flash fiction is one of the best genres for experimenting. I also have a special place in my heart for spec fic authors and action/adventure authors, so it's always a pleasure to meet with them as well.


How can someone best prepare for an appointment with you?

If you're coming to show me some of your awesome flash fiction, bring me the flash fiction piece itself and nothing else. I also offer flash critiques on novels, poems, nonfiction pieces, novellas, and short stories--basically I'll look at the first page or two and offer substantive feedback on what I think could be improved, if anything. If you're looking to hire me as an editor bring the piece you want edited (computer versions are fine) and I'll look that over and may even be able to provide you with a quote on the spot.


Anything you would like to add?

I believe in the writer's mission, passion, and purpose because I'm a writer too. I'm chasing similar dreams to most everyone in attendance at the conference, whether they're further along than I am or not as far. I think we can all learn from each other. I remember at the 2013 WTP conference a young writer's opening to her novel was absolutely captivating--it inspired me to improve my own craft. I hope to have that effect on writers in attendance at Write-to-Publish 2014, whether it's through appointments, through the classes I'm teaching, through my freelance editing, or through just getting to know attendees personally and talking about where to go from here. Come and talk to me. I'm dangerous, but not to you. I love talking to people, so come talk to me.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I have gone to moderated comments. Your comment will be read as soon as possible. Thank you for commenting.