Saturday, June 28, 2014

Five Things to Do This Summer to Keep Your Writing Fresh


The month of June is almost over and looking at my schedule for the rest of the summer, it won’t be long until school starts. So, I thought of some things to do to keep my writing fresh with all the activities.


Read. I like to sit out on my balcony in the warmer weather and read, and sometimes before I know it, I dose off for a while thinking about what I just read. I have some fiction and nonfiction books I want to tackle for personal growth and books on craft.

Journal. This is one way to write, even though you may not have an article or assignment to work on. Get a new journal for the summer and maybe a special pen to use. I always love excuses to buy a new journal!


Clean. I read it, again, somewhere this week, to spend your time writing, not looking for your files and reference materials. Try to go through some old files you have been putting off. Removing and or discarding a stack of papers from my desk gives me such a feeling of accomplishment.



 
Learn. As you clean your office, insert a CD in your computer and listen to a class from a conference you attended.


Take a Nap. Yes. This is important. Rest and Refresh.




What are you doing to keep your writing fresh this summer?






8 comments:

  1. I love your list. I am working with editors getting my novel ready. One goal is to get in the habit of blogging once a month. Another is tweaking some devotionals before sending them out. I joined twitter just because I keep being encourged to do so. So, I imagine I will spend part of the summer getting better at social media.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, some great goals, Cindy. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  2. I am listening to several CD's that I picked up at the conference this year. Using the information I learned, I am going back over some of my past writing and doing some re-writing. Another goal is learning more about social media and platform. I'm trying to get all that figured out. I have a couple of books I am reading. And finally, I'm keeping my eyes and ears open for new topics to write about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Sheryl. That is a great list and I wish you the best.

      Delete
  3. I am getting ready to draft an article, based on a shared experience my daughter and I had today. I am considering other articles I also might like to write for certain magazines. I'm reading more and studying great writing for more insight into the craft. I'm working on editing and embellishing a novel I plan to submit soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so good to pull together the ideas for an article shortly after it you have an experience that prompts you to write. Thanks for commenting Kathy.

      Delete
  4. I will have to use your list - I just added napping, so important in the first and middle parts of life! I am actually tiptoeing into editing my poetry since I have a composer interested in my poems as text for choral works. Makes me excited - something new I've never considered before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. Sounds exciting.

    ReplyDelete

Due to spam, I have gone to moderated comments. Your comment will be read as soon as possible. Thank you for commenting.