Saturday, June 21, 2014

Shadowed by Grace, A Review




Shadowed by Grace is an historical novel set against the backdrop of World War II, written by Cara Putman and published by B&H Publishing Group. It is a story inspired by the Monuments Men effort to save great works of art from the Third Reich.

You may have also heard of the movie, The Monuments Men, starring George Clooney, released earlier this year, which is the story of this group of art rescuers. I am anxious to see this film, now that I have read Putman’s book.

Being a fan of historical novels, it was easy for me to be drawn into the setting of Italy and the scenes of the destruction left after the wake of World War II. The main characters, Rachel and Scott, meet in the aftermath of war, where their love and Rachel’s quest for faith grow. Desperate to save her dying mother, Rachel accepts her newspaper’s assignment to travel to Italy where she takes photographs dangerously close to the front lines during World War II. But Rachel’s real motive in this journey is to find the father she never knew.



Putman’s research has to be applauded as she brings in not only the devastation of the great cities of Italy, but also the history of the artists and their work saved by the group.

I will admit I was a little disappointed when about three-quarters into the book, a solution to one of the mysteries was revealed. I thought it was a little premature and I admit at that point I put the book aside and stopped reading for a few days. But Putman's great description of the war and how she weaves a story brought me back. I read on to the end with satisfaction.  

I received a review copy of Shadowed by Grace from the publisher for the purpose of review. All opinions expressed here are my own.    

4 comments:

  1. I saw the movie Monument Men fascinatng and riveting. Shadowed By Grace sounds intriguing. I love stories based on actual historical events.
    Cindy Huff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Cindy. Great to see you at WTP.

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen the movie, but this is a fascinating topic! I'm glad important works of art were saved during World War II.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for coming to my blog, Kathy and commenting. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Due to spam, I have gone to moderated comments. Your comment will be read as soon as possible. Thank you for commenting.