Saturday, January 17, 2015

A New Year Writing Challenge




A new year brings challenges. Some come along without warning, and some we seek out. A challenge I signed up for is to attend an intensive week-long writers retreat. In about a month I will fly from Chicago to Florida to attend the Deep Thinker's Retreat, sponsored by My Book Therapy, of which I am a member. This is for fiction writers who have finished, at least, their first manuscript and want to take it to the next level.

Yesterday, I received my manuscript checklist, schedule and personal survey I am to complete, before I arrive. This for me will be a retreat that will indeed stretch me.

This is how I plan to prepare:

Pray. I plan to commit my time and efforts to God, so I will be directed as to where to concentrate my work.

Focus. I find this difficult. I think many of us, especially women, are multitaskers, and we find ourselves naturally, doing many things at one time. I also find many of the things I do are not that essential. Note one of the books I reviewed last time, Essentialism, The Disciplined Pursuit of Less. So this will be a challenge.

Organize. I am working on my schedule now, and realize I’m not very good at dividing tasks. But, I will do my best and then probably revamp.


How about you?

Do you plan to attend a 
conference to improve your writing?

What are your plans and how are you preparing?

     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I have gone to moderated comments. Your comment will be read as soon as possible. Thank you for commenting.