Saturday, January 3, 2015

Reading My Way Into a New Year


Happy New Year!

I am beginning 2015 by reading two books that I believe will help me have a more productive and satisfying year.




Essentialism, The Disciplined Pursuit of Less by Greg McKeown.  I learned about this book during a Michael Hyatt podcast (michaelhyatt.com). The premise of the book is to determine what is “essential” in our lives. This may mean choosing to not do some good things, deemed "nonessential," so we can do the "essential" and accomplish the more important things. I have not finished the book, but it provides some challenging reading.




The Best Yes, Making Wise Decisions in the Midst of Endless Demands by Lysa Terkeurst. This is the first book I have read by Terkeurst, also the author of the popular, Unglued and Made to Crave. I am in the midst of reading this book and find it challenging, as well. She explores the area of choices and how she believes we have three options: "Yes," "No," and the "Best Yes." 





Although both books may appear to have a similar message, so far, I believe Essentialism is geared more toward our business and professional lives and The Best Yes leans more in the direction of our personal. I also find because one is written by a man and the other by a woman, they have a little different tone, but I am gleaning from each one.



How about you? 
Are you reading a book 
to help you have a great 2015?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I have gone to moderated comments. Your comment will be read as soon as possible. Thank you for commenting.