Monday, March 16, 2015

Write-to-Publish Faculty Interview: Twila Belk, Teacher of the How to Get Published Continuing Class









Twila Belk is a writer and speaker, who has written or co-written six books and contributed to many others. Since June of 2007 she has worked with veteran author Cecil Murphey, as his executive assistant, event coordinator and PR person. She is a Christian communicator with a goal of taking important truths and making them easy to understand.




Give a brief description of your continuing class and is there anything that makes it unique?

“How to Get Published” is for beginners and those wanting to learn more about what it takes to get published. We’ll discuss the basics such as terminology, key people in the publishing process, resources for writers, how to format and submit manuscripts, focusing ideas, writing query letters, industry etiquette, getting connected, and more.

What makes it unique is that I haven’t forgotten the feeling of cluelessness I had as I sat in a similar class at WTP in 1998. I was so confused and had a hard time understanding the lingo and other publishing-related things. I was afraid to ask questions because I didn’t want to appear as clueless as I was. Because I remember my beginnings (and the many mistakes I’ve made since then), I can teach with an empathetic heart. I want to guide you and get you on the path to publication. And I want you to know that I’m open to answering your questions, no matter how stupid you think they are. It’s a safe environment.


What will be the biggest take-away from your class?

You’ll know what your next step is.


How can someone best prepare to attend your class?

Prayer is great preparation. Not that you need it because you’re going to have me as a teacher, but because you want to be open to all God has for you at WTP. Come with an expectant heart, knowing that you’re there for a reason. You might think you’re there to learn about writing, but God might have something entirely different in store for you that will blow you away. And prepare yourself to be overwhelmed. You’ll take in a lot of information while you’re there, and it’ll be hard to process it all at once. If you know ahead of time to expect that, it’ll be easier to make it through the week.


Anything you would like to add?

The connections you make at WTP have the potential to change the course of your life. I speak from experience. It was at that first conference in 1998 that I met a man by the name of Cecil Murphey. My life has never been the same. (I have stories to tell! Just ask.) Take the time to connect. Have fun. Be yourself. Be prayerful. Be confident. And see what God does. I guarantee you’ll be blessed and amazed.


Write-to-Publish will be held June 3 – 6

in the Chicago area.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I have gone to moderated comments. Your comment will be read as soon as possible. Thank you for commenting.