Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Write-to-Publish Faculty Interview: Steve Barclift, Kregel Publishing



Briefly describe your publishing house.


Our mission statement is a good starting point: "Our mission as an evangelical Christian publisher is to develop and distribute--with integrity and excellence--trusted, biblically based resources that lead individuals to know and serve Jesus Christ.” We are a mid-sized publisher that is theologically conservative (more information can be found on our website: www.kregel.com). We are a traditional, royalties-paying house that publishes a wide range of books that include, among other genres, children’s books, Christian living titles, fiction, self-help, and books for pastors, teachers, and missionaries. We also have an academic line.


Do you publish first-time authors?

Yes. I’m guessing here, but probably ten to twenty percent of our titles are by first-time authors. Many of the projects I acquire at writers conferences are by first-time authors.


How can a writer best prepare for an appointment with you?

First, the author should become familiar with the list of needs I submitted to the conference; we aren’t necessarily looking for books in all areas in which we publish or have published in the past. Then I suggest that the writer peruse our website to see if the writer’s take on a subject is consistent with what we tend to publish in that subject area. Finally, the author should be able to tell me exactly what his or her book is about, because I will do very little reading during an appointment. I also will want to know about the author's potential marketing opportunities and social networking activities, if any. If a writer is meeting with me to gain an understanding of some aspect of publishing, that writer should come with specific questions in hand.


Anything else you would like to add or any specific current needs?

A departure for us, Kregel is beginning to acquire romance, so I would like to meet with anyone who has written a romance with a strong plot; we are not looking for formula romance. Historical romance seems to be working for us. Romantic suspense might be a good bet as well. And apart from romantic fiction, if an author thinks he or she probably has the best book at the conference, come talk to me—even if that book is not on the list of genres I’ve said I'm looking for. By the way, we have quite a few Canadian authors publishing with us, and I hope we will have many more.


Write-to-Publish will be held 
June 3 - 6 in the Chicago area.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I have gone to moderated comments. Your comment will be read as soon as possible. Thank you for commenting.