Tuesday, July 14, 2015

PDF to Kindle: I Can Do It!



If you are a Kindle owner, did you know you have a Kindle email address and you can send documents, not in Kindle format to your device from your computer? Maybe you know that, but I didn’t, until recently. 

After I bought my Kindle, I purchased most of my e-books on Amazon. But, occasionally I bought them on other sites and they were in another format, usually a PDF. They would end up on my laptop and I was clueless as to how to get them to my Kindle and most of them ended up unread.

A few months ago, I was offered a free e-book if I sent this company my Kindle e-mail. My what? I didn’t know I had a Kindle e-mail address. How would I find that? I couldn’t find it on Amazon so I did a search on the internet and found out how to find it. I went to Amazon and looked under “Manage your content and devices” then under “Devices” and it came up. I sent that party my e-mail and that e-book appeared on my Kindle. Now, I never went beyond that to figure out how else I could use that e-mail address, so I still struggled with how to get those e-books as a PDF, on my computer, to my Kindle.

I saw a post by a fellow writer, and I was instructed to use your Kindle e-mail address and attach the PDF to the email. I did that and no luck. So I searched again and came up with the page on Amazon that explained how to send a PDF. I found out that a PDF needs to be “converted” to be read on the Kindle. So, I sent an email to my Kindle and used the word “convert” in the subject line and attached the PDF. I did that and it worked!

The conversion of a PDF isn’t always perfect. The graphics don't always come with it and sometimes a few lines are off, but it is conveniently on your Kindle.


Have you done this? Any advice on sending other document types to your Kindle?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I have gone to moderated comments. Your comment will be read as soon as possible. Thank you for commenting.